DISCLAIMER: Most of items on this list, are well publicized in much of what I researched on google but also are from article by Michelle Vartan, Managing Editor, LIVESTRONG.COM except for okra which so far is my discovery & world's best kept secret!
1. RAW OKRA! Benefits of eating a few raw or frozen okra every day has amazing brain power to reverse brain damage and a side effect is anti-aging! My discovery 1995 but until I boycotted all Canadian packaged food 2012, age 70, I was not able to get my Parkinsonism disease into remission & continued to take paralyzing semi-catatonic, terminal attacks.. being poisoned by Canola oil, gas, oil, diesel and toxic chemical additives in Canadian food and not on the label! see more in my biography for the full story. According to both my research & Livestrong.com research as follows:
2. Pure Spring water! Based on evidence, pure spring water stops brain from shrinking, from Italy and European countries that have pure spring water in their daily diet instead of fruit juices and pops which in fact cause brain shrinkage - epidemic in USA & Canada.
3. Brain exercising - DANCE! CROSS COUNTRY SKIING! Moving the body with dance & cross country skiing has proven to build brain neuroplasticity and reverse aging.
4. Healthy fats like Olive oil for cooking. Boycott all other cooking oils like Canola, Rapeseed, Sunflower, Corn etc. Eat walnuts, crushed almonds add to organic salad.
5. Intermittent fasting. Fasting to reduce food intake for short periods reduces brain inflammation. ie: Fast a bit longer between dinner and breakfast. I fast during the day before dinner. I tried long fasting for detox purposes but this is not necessary. Short fasting periods works just as well.
6. Sleep. Sleep deprivation has terrible effects on the brain. Learn how to rest or meditate & calm yourself even if not sleeping, lay still, be quiet and rest. Eat foods that induce your pineal gland to make a brain chemical, melatonin to sleep. Google lists many, I like chicken, boiled egg, or pumpkin seeds. Tart cherries contain natural melatonin & also have anti-inflamatory effects, sweet half as much as tart. Google lists walnuts & bell peppers.
7. Eat estrogen & Testosterone promoting foods. Flax seed & sesame seeds are high but if not ground you will get no benefit. Organic Fruit, oranges, strawberries, peaches. Fish, Salmon, trout, pickerel, sardines. Carrots, chick peas, legumes, beans, sweet potatoes, spinach, blueberries, broccoli, brussel sprouts, bell peppers, Olive Oil.
8. 12 minute meditation, every day. Just 12 minutes can actually ward off brain diseases. Sit in a park, meditate by a lake, just being quiet in clean fresh air anywhere can add thickness to cerebral cortex which governs memory. That is why even if I can't dance, climb wilderness trails in hills, or cross country ski - I swing at our local Moonlight Beach for 10 minutes then sit quiet for 12 minutes watching sea gulls, children playing. In summer I try to find a clean outdoor lake to swim in, sadly tragic, finding one unpolluted is becoming an impossible nightmare. I am allergic to chlorine so swimming pools is not an option for me.
9. Socialize - Learn something new.